Sunday, September 25, 2011

Part 4

Emily Elizabeth Scherzinger, 1st Year, English

Song: Cleanse Song

Band: Bright Eyes

Album: Cassadaga

This past summer was not an epic one. It was not a time of great discovery or turmoil about who I was, like my previous summer. Instead, this past summer was more about relaxing and preparing myself mentally for my first year in university. At the time, all I could think about was the change university would bring – living away from home, being able to do what I want whenever I want. But with change comes both good and bad things. My summer was the sad taste at the back of your mouth that inevitably comes with every beautiful moment.


One of my favourite memories I have that personified this summer so well was falling asleep in my boyfriend’s room with his arms around me as “Cleanse Song” by Bright Eyes played; and the light from a streetlamp filtered in through his window. That song seems to be all about change, and that’s exactly what I wanted during the summer. This is obvious when (lead singer) Conor Oberst sings the opening lines: “Hear the chimes, did you know that the wind when it blows/It is older than Rome and all of this sorrow.” As I heard those lines, I would be sent over the edge into that state where I was not awake but I wasn’t asleep – all I could do was think about what I wanted for myself in the nearby future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!