Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Part 6

Evangeline Fitz, 1st year, English

Song: Lose Your Soul

Band: Dead Man’s Bones

Album: Dead Man’s Bones (feat. The Silverlake Conservatory of Music Children’s Choir)

Dead Man’s Bones, the name says it all: music and looks are raw and eerie, featuring Ryan Gosling’s deep vocals backed by ethereal notes of a children’s choir. Though these attributes may be more associated with Halloween, this was my band of the summer. I played Lose Your Soul over and over again as I sat in the car with the windows down, passing by rural and urban landscapes. They issued from my iPod as I rode the subway, walked down the street, and went to the beach. I carried them with me everywhere.


"Lose Your Soul" is my favourite song on the album. It speaks of routine, of sacrificing desires for obligations. In other words, the lyrics show the complete opposite of my work-free, lie-on-the-roof summer. Perhaps it was this interesting juxtaposition that had me pressing repeat so often. Or perhaps it was simply because the song is so hauntingly beautiful, just like those stormy summer nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!