Friday, October 07, 2011

Part 9

Kashtin Fitzsimons, 2nd Year, Political Science

Song Title: Rolling Stone

Artist: The Weeknd

Album: Thursday

It would be an exaggeration of mythical proportions to suggest that this song is an accurate reflection of my summer. As far as the lyrics are concerned, I do not share any of the concerns The Weeknd voices on this haunting ballad. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I likely not smoke until I can't hit another note (I haven't started smoking, Mom. Don't worry).


My inability to relate to the content aside, The Weeknd's "Rolling Stone" was undoubtedly the musical backdrop to my summer. It was with me on my excruciatingly long bus ride from Brno, Czech Republic to Krakow, Poland. It gave me comfort as I tried to find my way back to my boat-el in Budapest, Hungary.


The Weeknd played his debut concert at the Mod Club on July 24. Accompanied by a single guitarist, he made me understand - for at least a moment - what it is like to run these streets for too long. It was at that moment that I forgot about the air conditioner unit above me dripping (hopefully) water on my head and the math class I should have been studying for that night. Nothing else mattered. At the end of the day, isn't that what summer is all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!